Looking to find the best WordPress plugins to improve your website?
Plugins are written in PHP (programming) language which is what WordPress is built on, this makes them easy to integrate and function with WordPress.
Think of any function that you’d like to add to your WordPress website, we will be really surprised if you don’t find a plugin for that. At the time of writing this post, there are 54,536 plugins in the WordPress Plugin repository.
Before we jump into best WordPress plugins lets clear a few things about plugins first.
Can You Use WordPress Plugins on WordPress.com?
There is no other way to put it. So, unfortunately, No. you cannot add plugins to your WordPress.com (limited version of WordPress) website. Third party plugins are a no go for you unless you upgrade to their business plan.
The better option out of this would be that you move to WordPress.org. Feel free to contact us if you need help doing so.
How Many Plugins Can You Install on Your Website?
There is no such thing as too many plugins. There are just good plugins and bad ones. So while adding plugins you should keep in mind that
But make sure that your Plugins are not in conflict with one another as this has proven to be one of the most common reasons to cause errors in websites.
How Do You Distinguish Between a Good and Bad Plugins?
So how do you tell if a plugin is good or not? Well, it’s not that difficult of a task, all you have to do is look into:
- The reputation of its developers
- Read the plugins reviews
- Install plugins from popular directories
- And lastly, check when was it last updated
- Technical support is on hand.
Made by a reputable developer, the reviews are good, was recently updated and is available on a popular repository are all signs that the plugin is safe to use.
We have curated the list of best WordPress plugins, which we have used for our own and customer websites over the years.
Best SEO Plugins
It is difficult for any website to enjoy some sort of success without good search engine optimization. Please find below the list of 3 best WordPress plugins for SEO.
Yoast SEO is WordPress’s #1 SEO plugin at the time of writing this post.
Two reasons why we love Yoast are that firstly, is an all-in-one SEO plugins and secondly, it is a very powerful & well-coded plugin.
- Allows you to analyze how well you have optimized keywords
- Snippet preview: shows you exactly how your post will look like in google search, so you can custom-write your meta descriptions and title tags.
- Enhances your contents readability from keyword & transition words used to the length of your paragraphs & use of passive voice. Pointing them out in simple red and green light interphase.
- Updates every two weeks.
- Optimizes your website for the most recent Google’s algorithm
- Helps Auto-Generate XML sitemaps, cleans up your permalink URLs and configures your robots.txt & .htaccess files.
- Social sharing
- Notify search engines whenever a new post/page is published
- Capable to perform a wide variety of functions.
- User-friendly interface
- SEO tool
- Extremely popular
- Can potentially decrease the speed of your website
- Paid version for advanced SEO settings is expensive
- Unable to define canonical URLs & control site structure
- Contains bloated codes
Google XML Sitemaps
Sitemaps are written in XML instead of HTML because sitemap is to inform search engines which of your pages are important and you want search engines to crawl. Sitemaps help search engines to crawl your web site better.
This plugin is specially designed to help you create a dynamic sitemap for your website which is compatible with Google, Bing and Yahoo webmaster tools. Once your site map is ready you can easily submit to all the webmaster tools.
- Automatically generates a sitemap for all pages.
- Helps you tell search engines what & what not to index (robot.txt file)
- Can create a static XML file
- Allows you to upload a new XSLT stylesheet, change & prioritize sitemap content and even add custom pages.
- Itself adds pages & posts to sitemap after they have been published
- Plugin is free & good reputation
- Creates both zip version & static XML files
- Good default settings and configuration
- Incredible XML sitemap functionality
- Capable of performing one focused function (creating sitemap)
- Might conflict if you are using plugins like Yoast SEO
- Might not work with Nginx servers
Google Analytics by Monster Insights
Google Analytics by Monster Insights is one of the most popular WordPress plugin.
Having a sense of your traffic can prove to be very beneficial for your business. Google analytics can be a bit overwhelming to use and understand, which is why we absolutely love this plugin by Monster Insights.
This plugin makes it easy for you to manage, customize and add google analytics, making in simpler and faster for you track your website’s traffic.
- Gives information about analytics & site performance.
- Gives you a detailed report on your traffic like page preview, top viewing pages & posts, stats on new & returning visitors, etc.
- Generates reports that are easy to understand & interpret.
- Allows you to customize your reports (selecting data range & metrics, etc), organizing your data so that you get overwhelmed by information.
- You don’t have to leave your website’s dashboard to view these reports, they are accessible inside the Monster-insights menu on your dashboard.
- Easy to install, configure & use.
- You can view reports from your dashboard in multiple tabs.
- Allows you to import & export reports.
- The free version is limited
- Quite expensive
Broken Link Checker
ERROR. 404 Page – Broken links are bad news, they are bad for your traffic, give a bad impression of your website and are highly disliked by search engines.
Locating broken links and fixing them can be a painful task. For which, Broken link checker is our favorite plugin. It has all the link checking solutions. it helps track down broken links, redirects, and images not only in your pages & post but also in your blogroll, custom fields & comments.
- Detects redirect, missing images & broken links
- Allows you to edit links directly from the plugin’s page, instead of manually opening each link to update it.
- Allows you to prohibit search engines from following broken links.
- Sends notifications on dashboard or Email about broken links.
- It is a free plugin.
- Available in 30 different languages
- scan your database regularly (notifies you)
- Monitor internal and external links
Best Security Plugins for WordPres
Your website is your business and it’s security should be at the top of your priority list.
You cannot eliminate the risk fully but you must do your best to minimize the risk of your website being hacked.
A hacked site can cause you a lot of hassle, money and time. We have listed three best security plugins for WordPress below.
Sucuri Website Firewall
Sucuri is a website security company that deals with many of the content management systems.
They specialize in WordPress, their plugins create an additional proxy (cloud) firewall which filters all of your traffic before it reaches your website. This ensures that you only receive legitimate traffic.
- Protect against malware s, hacks, blacklisting, DDos & Brute force attack.
- Identifies a potential source of vulnerability and send you alerts.
- Removes unlimited malware from your website.
- Improves the speed of your website pages & posts.
- Notifies you to update WordPress when not updated.
- Does not solely deal in WordPress but also with other CMS’s.
- Wordfence Security – Firewall & Malware Scan
- Free SSL certificate
- File Integrity Monitoring (detects changes in your files)
- Blocks all types of threats out there
- Allows you to monitor your sites recent activities. (activity audit)
- It is a paid plugin
- They have three different plans with different features & prices
- They offer support in only English language.
- Protects against viruses, malware, adware, trojans, malicious links etc.
- Has a strong scanning tool that can sniff out almost all types of WordPress security threats.
- Gives a detail report on the problems found and suggestion on how to deal wot these issues
- Monitors your websites traffic in real time, identifies and blocks spams & suspicious IP’s.
- Block attackers by IP
- Incredible malware scanning
- Strong & powerful DNS-level WAF
- Paid version has extra features
- Has an impact of the load time of your website.
- May even affect your website’s performance.
iTheme is one of the biggest names in WordPress themes. Formerly known as Better WP Security plugin was taken over by iThemes for maintenance. They rebranded it, along with launching its premium version.
- Scans website for malware detects brute force attack, enforces a strong password use & hide login and admin pages
- detects changes (unauthorized) in files.
- Sends Email alerts & notifications of threats
- database backups (scheduled)
- Blocks malicious & spammy traffic from viewing your website.
- Uses over 30 methods to secure your website.
- Won’t install perfectly on every site
- Free version has limited options
Best Backup Plugins for WordPress
It is important to keep regular backups of your website, just in case you need to restore your website.
Following are the three best backup plugins for your WordPress website.
Vaultpress over time has become th all in one WordPress maintenance plugin. As its functions range from backup and security to site performance optimization & theme customization.
The positive side of installing a plugin which offers such a wide variety of functions is that they don’t conflict with each other. Because if you install two or three different plugins they might conflict with one and other.
- Backups and Restoring database
- SEO and analytics
- optimizes site performance
- Has security features & tools
- customizable sharing buttons
- options to create XML sitemap
- Monitors websites downtime
- Engagement features like Contact Form, Email and Comment Subscription.
- Simple & reliable plugin
- Continuously developed and more features added
- Adds a wide range of functionalities to your website
- Limited features in free version
- Backup is paid
- Uses XML-RPC, not good for security.
Updraft Plus WordPress Backup Plugin
This is one of the most recommended backup plugins out there.
The positive side of installing a plugin which offers such a wide variety of functions is that they don’t conflict with each other. Because if you install two three different plugins they might conflict with one and other and cause even bigger problems.
- Backs up your database and files on cloud storage such as Google Drive & Dropbox
- Allows restoration in only one click
- Allows you to schedule & on-demand backups.
- A quick & easy user interface
- Allows easy site-to-site migration with an add-on (migrator)
- It is compatible with multiple websites
- Free plugin
- Offers backup & restoration in the free plan
- Quick, simple & safe backup plugin
- Many options for remote storage locations
- Can not purchase lifetime updates
- Advanced settings are difficult to configure
- Offer more support to premium users
This plugin has been around since 2010 and has managed to stay on the top of the list of backup plugins.
It allows you to backup your database on to remote locations from your dashboard. scheduling backups along with easy restoration procedures.
- It can repair and optimize your database.
- Allows you to schedule backups
- easy user interface & simple backup & restoration process
- Allows you to choose the location of backup (Dropbox, Rackspace Cloud, Amazon S3, FTP)
- Good user interface
- Handles up to 10 site backups
- Offers duplication & migration tools
- No free version
- Unreliable backups (some complaint)
- Does not allow backup on demand
- Might use a lot of data & processing resources
Best WordPress E-Commerce Plugins
You can convert your WordPress website into an online store with the help of e-commerce plugins for WordPress.
We have listed below the best WordPress e-commerce plugins.
It is a very powerful over source plugin that can make your website into an online store. Also called the king of WordPress eCommerce plugins
- Allows you to sell both digital and physical goods with popular payment and shipping options
- Offers you limitless customization
- This plugin has strong SEO
- It is a flexible & customization plugin
- Security of Woo Commerce is one of its strong points
- You can add up to 50 official extensions to this plugin
- It is free & very popular
- It is easy to use
- Used on personal & business websites
- Good for multilingual websites
- Lack of customer support
- They don’t roll out updates as frequently
- Has too many options which be a bit confusing
WP eCommerce was the most popular WordPress eCommerce plugin before the Woo Commerce rose to fame.
- Allows you to add shopping cart functionality on your Website.
- Allows you to manage sales & inventory from your dashboard.
- Offers you two types of payment methods-
- You can add 27 official extensions to this plugin
- Adds shopping cart functionality
- Easy to add products on your website
- Easy to use interface
- You can upload only one image per product
- Increases your page load time
- Not SEO friendly
Best Plugins to Optimize Images
Pictures are the most common reason behind slow sites and it is really difficult for the slow sites to get traffic from Google.
You must optimize your images for web before adding to your website using one of the plugin to optimize images.
TinyPNG: Compress JPEG & PNG images
Automatically optimizes your images & compresses through TinyJPG and TinyPNG. It is important to compress your WordPress images in order to control your websites load time, ensure a good user experience & SEO ranking.
- Automatically compresses new images
- Optimizes images already present in the media library.
- Supports both JPEG & PNG files
- No file size limit
- Allow bulk action
- Single API key can be used on multiple sites.
- Automatically optimize new images
- WooCommerce compatible
- No file size limits
- Need to upgrade to paid version for more than 500 images.
- Plugin has multiple security issues
- Compresses images while protecting image quality
- Also keeps copies of full-size images
- Allows both individual & bulk action
- Indicates images in the library that have not yet been compressed with the “smush now” button.
- Allows image resizing
- Easy to use
- Compresses images as you upload them
- Multi-site configuration
- No control over the extent of optimization
- No significant difference in the site performance
- Pro version offers more features
This plugin reduces image size following several advanced algorithms. Its a free plugin, also used on CMS other than WordPress.
- Compresses JPG, PNG and GIF files up to 5MB
- Allows bulk action
- Compresses both old & newly uploaded images
- Allows you to change image optimization levels as per your need
- Allows you to resize your images in two clicks
- It is a free plugin.
- Protects the quality of images
- Doesn’t have different compression levels
- Limited optimization of images smaller than 5MBs
Best Contact Form Plugins
You work hard to drive traffic to your website and collect leads using your contact forms. We have listed the three best contact form plugins for you to choose from.
It is a feature rich plugin.
- Ease of Use
- Sleek user interface which improves user experience.
- Comes with multiple pre-built templates
- interactive & smart surveys & their reports
- SEO friendly
- Create unlimited forms
- Spam protection features
- Many features limited to the premium license
Contact Form 7
One of the most popular free contact form plugin. Adding Contact Form 7 on your website allows your visitors to contact you privately.
- Allows you to add multiple contact forms on your website
- Allows you to customize the form as you like
- Its form editor interface is very similar to WordPress editor.
- Free open source plugin
- Comes with good documentation (support)
- Available in multiple languages
- Lacks features that many paid plugins offer
- You have to manually copy-paste shortcode if you want to insert form in your content.
This is a very popular plugin used to create a simple contact form, with simple drag & drop options.
- You can create forms, surveys & quizzes
- Easy to manage, edit & view responses
- You can split the form into sections & pages
- You can accept payments with Gravity Forms.
- Creates a responsive form (desktop, mobile, and tablet)
- Drag-and-drop form builder
- Can create multi-page forms
- Easy embedding form in the content
- Can create advance Forms
- Not suitable for users who want simple forms
- Premium version is a bit expensive
Social Media Plugins For WordPress
Adding Social share buttons on your website makes it easy for your users to share your content that they like on various social platform.
There are many plugins that allow you to add these buttons & here are our
Easy Social Share Buttons
Easy Social Share Buttons adds incredibly light, fast & intuitive
- Social share buttons
- Social follow buttons
- Subscribe to forms, blog & magazine buttons
- Responsive fits any screen size.
- Show the number of shares.
- Allows you 75 different colors and styles options
- Comes with multiple pre-built positioning & design templates
- One click share with mobile messenger apps
- Enables you to add live chat functions on your website
- Comes with built-in metrics and social analytics tools
- Highly customisable & easy to configure
- 50+ of most popular social platform icons
- Too many options to choose from
- Your dashboard might get a little messy from time to time
This social share plugin is both light & attractive. Using this plugin you can add Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Mix & many more icons on your WordPress Website.
- Shows number of shares after you have reached a reasonable number otherwise hides Number of shares
- Allows you to directly upload images to Pinterest
- Allows you to make shareable quotes from your content
- Creates shortcodes so you can embed these plugins anywhere on your website
- Fastest social media plugins on WordPress
- Allows you to add floating share buttons
- The plugin has an annual payment
- Pro license holders have more perks and feature options
Hopefully, these best WordPress plugins will help you choose the right plugins for your website.
It is easy to install the plugin but difficult to have only those plugins, which you need for your website.
Before you decide to install any plugin, r
There are thousands of plugins out there. But from experience, we have learned that when it comes to plugins you need to be very careful as bad or conflicting plugins can harm your website in multiple & often dreadful ways.